~On Sunday the 23rd we went with the family of some our students to the province of Ayutthaya. This trip was so long and I took so many pictures that I am going to post it in four parts since we went to four separate places. So, here's part one and I hope you enjoy the pics...
~Me in front of some of the great temple ruins~
~Some of the many Buddhas in and around the ruins~
~Me and Birdie in front of another ruined temple~
People going into the main temple of this section of the ruins
to worship and pray to the Buddhas inside.
~Ayutthaya was once the capital of Thailand. Before Myanmar attacked, all of these temple buildings and Buddhas were completely covered in gold. As they ransacked the city the armies of Myanmar melted and stripped the gold from everything before burning the city. To this day the people still come here to worship, to pray and to remember the horrid tragedy of their once great city. They drape the temples and Buddhas in yellow, orange, and gold to show honor and respect for their spiritual guide. It makes my heart ache to see how much faith they put in these stone idols.
Nice pics! I especially like the Buddha pictures. They remind me of the Buddhist monk I saw in Washington the other day...
ReplyDelete